It is important to find a mower that can work with minimal issues as a lawn owner. When finding used lawn mowers, you’ll have to see which ones are near your location and the quality of their performance.
By the end of this guide, you’ll have the information needed to know what used lawn mower is worth your money, how to avoid bad lawnmowers, and where you can find some online.
Where To Buy Used Lawn Mowers Near You?
If shopping online is your fore, then you can buy a used lawnmower on Amazon.com. You’ll notice that many lawn owners are selling their previously owned lawn mowers and equipment at a reasonable price. Always check the validity of the lawnmower vendor to ensure that you’re getting one that’s valuable and reliable.
Since its start in 2016, Facebook Marketplace has grown into a modern marketplace where a wide variety of products are sold. Now, you can find a used lawnmower through a quick Facebook search. Because of this, it’s easy for new lawn owners to get equipment that makes their daily yard maintenance easier.
When starting on Facebook Marketplace, you can select the region you’re in to find used lawnmowers in your area. It allows you to filter your search, making it easier to find one that works best for you. If you need even more assistance, you can submit a request for the lawn products you require.
You can also use Craiglist to buy used lawnmowers within your area. Finding a lawnmower is an easy and simple process. Simply go to the website and click the “for sale” option.
If you have a specific brand in mind, Craigslist has a feature that allows you to find them in the search box. Alternatively, you can search by a category called “Farm + Garden .”Now, you’ll be presented with a list of new and used lawnmowers that you can purchase directly from the site.
If you’re looking for used lawnmowers, eBay is the best place for you. Since being founded in 1995, it has become a popular e-commerce site for selling used products. This is the platform where both the sellers and consumers have a mutual benefit.
When searching for lawnmowers, eBay is a platform where you can take a quick tour of what you’ll need. Start by scrolling through the product pages and find the lawnmower that works best with your lawn. For optimal results, try to get the lawnmower that’s nearby. This will make purchasing the product you need easier and getting your lawn back to its healthy condition.
- LawnSite Marketplace is a forum designed to help lawnmowers share information about lawn improvement techniques. They have a marketplace where you can ask questions and receive quick and helpful responses from the members.
- In addition, this is a great platform to obtain a lawnmower. On some occasions, they sell used lawnmowers to members of the forum. Make use of this opportunity and see if you can obtain a bought lawnmower easily.
Rent Lawn Mower
- Large department stores such as Sunbelt Rentals, HomeDepot, and Rentalyard provides rental services. This is a good opportunity for new lawn owners who wants the best equipment possible.
- To obtain a used lawnmower, go to the website and search for an affordable lawnmower. To get the best price, compare the rental process. Not only will this help you save money, but it will also reduce the maintenance time.
Things To Consider When Buying A Used Lawn Mower
- You always want to take a close look at how the engine operates. If the engine has dents or makes an extremely loud noise, chances are you should avoid it. When looking for an engine, make sure that it is suitable for your lawn equipment to work efficiently.
- The quality of the lawnmower engine varies from one company to another. You can find most of these parts in the market, and it has an easier fixing process.
- Getting a good lawn mower engine will support you for a longer period. Honda, Stratton, or Briggs are great brands for improving the aesthetic value of your lawn.
- It is important to inspect your lawnmower before buying it. That way, you can see if there are any faulty parts on the device.
- Start by checking the age of the lawnmower. The older it is, the more the lawnmower has been used as a rule of thumb. While you can buy an older lawn mower, there is a higher chance that something will go wrong.
- Next, you’ll want to check the smoke coming out of the mower. If it’s a small amount of black smoke, you’re fine. However, if the mower starts to show blue or white colors, it could be due to burning oil.
- Check if the lawnmower works by pulling the cord. If it doesn’t work on the first few attempts, you’ll have to determine why or search for another mower.
Analyze the Risks
- After the mower you’ve inspected passes the first view, it is important to assess the risks that might be present. You should ask yourself the following questions before completing the purchase.
- Why is this lawnmower on the Marketplace? No one sells something of sentimental value, so try to check for the real reason why the mower is being sold. Most of the time, the owner is selling the mower because there is a certain part that they do not want to fix.
- Also, look to see if there are any repair options available. For instance, if the lawnmower breaks after purchase, you’ll have to buy a new one or repair it. Because of this, it’s always good to find out what needs to be fixed beforehand to ensure your lawnmower works better in the long run.
- You’ll want to buy a used lawnmower from a reputable individual or dealer. If you do buy one from a dealer, make sure there is any previous work that has been done on the mower.
- When speaking to the dealer, see if there is any form of return warranty. The average warranty time is approximately 30 days. But the average length and time of the mower may vary based on the condition and age of the mower.
- If you buy a lawnmower from an individual, ask to see the paperwork on the equipment. For example, the original purchase receipt will confirm the current age of the mower. The maintenance records will explain when the lawnmower has surfaced and how often the service occurred.
Check the Maintenance History
- As we stated earlier, performing proper maintenance is important to the longevity of your mower. Speak to your sellers and ask the following questions:
- Is the air filter clean?
- Have you done any yearly service on the lawnmower? For instance, they can perform maintenance tasks such as blade sharpening, oil change, and new spark plugs.
Buy During Fall Season
- When getting a lawnmower, the best time to get it is when no one plans to buy it. The fall season is the best time to do this as no one is actively looking for it.
- If you buy your lawnmower during the spring, you’ll have to deal with increased buyer conditions and less variety, but at a better price.
Get an Expert Opinion
If this is the first time buying a lawnmower, it is important to get someone who has experience buying them. If yes, speak to them about their buying process and what they’ve done to avoid being scammed.
Additionally, you can ask for assistance during the buying process. If they agree to assist you, you can take them to the mower inspection.
Test the Mower
While it might sound obvious, you’ll need to go through a test drive before making a purchase. In addition, try using it to cut grass.
A good lawn mower will have a sharp blade to cut through the grass in one go. If this doesn’t occur, then the blades aren’t sharp enough, or it can be an additional issue you’re missing out on. Test the mower before buying it to ensure it
Is Buying A Used Riding Lawn Mower Worth It?
Buying a used riding lawn mower is worth it in the long run. It is less expensive than buying it new, but you’ll also have the tools needed to keep your lawn in good condition.
Always go through an extensive inspection period to ensure that it’s worth your money. This ensures that the lawnmower you’re buying is not defective and can still work in crowded areas.
Should I Rent a Lawn Mower?
Alternatively, you can rent a lawnmower if you’re not planning on using it often. Here are some benefits of renting a used lawnmower.
- Less defective mowers
- No large expenditures
- No extra maintenance
Renting a used lawnmower eliminates the problems of having to repair it constantly. When buying or renting a lawnmower, always gauge which one is better for your budget.